Professor Klara Nahrstedt im Kolloquium der Fakultät für Mathematik und Informatik

Wolfgang Effelsberg effelsberg at informatik.uni-mannheim.de
Di Nov 23 12:28:42 CET 2010

Liebe Kolleginnen und Kollegen, liebe Mitarbeiter, liebe Studierende,
Frau Professor Dr. Klara Nahrstedt wird im Kolloquium der Fakultät für
Mathematik und Informatik einen Vortrag halten, und zwar
   am 29.11.2010
   um 17:15 h
   in A 5, 6 Raum C 012.

Frau Professor Nahrstedt ist weltweit bekannt als Professorin für
Informatik. Sie ist zurzeit Humboldt-Stipendiatin. Hier ihr Vortrag:

Title:  Characterizing and Leveraging People Movement on a University Campus
Speaker: Professor Dr. Klara Nahrstedt
Department of Computer Science
USA

Collecting real human movements has drawn significant attention from
research community. The reasons are multiple, including new insights in
network protocol design, network management within urban planning, and
environmental impact. However, obtaining comprehensive trace of people
movement with integrated context information about location, contacts
and stay duration has been missing and it proves to be a hard task.

In this talk we present a novel framework, called UIM (University of
Illinois Movement), which includes (a) scanning process of joint
location information (via WiFi scanner) and ad hoc contacts (via
Bluetooth scanner) of human movement at the University of Illinois
campus using Google Android phones, (b) trace analysis algorithm of
joint Bluetooth/WiFi information with its inference towards
characterization of people mobility patterns, and (c) data dissemination
protocol which uses both WiFi access point and ad hoc contact to
expedite the data forwarding. Our results show that we can characterize
the detailed regularity of people movement, the visit duration of people
at certain locations, and the popularity of locations. The evaluation of
our dissemination protocol shows strong improvement of data forwarding
delays when compared with other state-of-the-art protocols.

We will conclude the talk with a short discussion of challenges when it
comes to mobility patterns of different user groups and of needs for
characterizing and understanding people movement patterns in different
scenarios if we aim to deploy effective protocols and services on future
mobile hand-held devices.
--
Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Effelsberg                 Tel: +49 621 181 2600
Praktische Informatik IV                      Fax: +49 621 181 2601
University of Mannheim        effelsberg at informatik.uni-mannheim.de
68131 Mannheim, Germany      pi4.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/~effels